When British technologist Kevin Ashton invented the term "Internet of Things "in 1999he knew little that this term would become so popular in the years to come. Today, we live in the era where the IoT is already a reality.
It is estimated that in 2020, about 50 billion IoT compatible devices will be used worldwide. The notifications you constantly receive on your smartphone based on your current location are an excellent example of IoT in action.
Other IoT action.
According to Statista (see chart below), the IoT market is expected to reach 457 billion dollars by 2020. This is a phenomenal increase compared to 194 billion dollars in 2017. How has IoT become so popular? The answer is due to its ability to connect things together.
The new age of the designer of websites.
We are entering a new era of web design, where websites are designed keeping in mind the operation of smart devices. IoT is ready to bring ecommerce website design to a new level.
1. Web design will become more complex
Website design will become more complex as the designer will now have to design front-end interfaces that allow users to communicate easily with other smart devices. Clean interfaces would be needed so that users could easily communicate with devices such as cameras, sensors, refrigerators, washing machines and other smart devices.
It would take longer to test the design, configure the network, and manage the server. The design should be flexible and easy to adapt to a range of devices that would be connected via IoT.
2. A solid framework for final communication will be needed
The main database must be robust because the data obtained from the IoT devices corresponding to each user will have to be kept securely and accessible as needed.
Knowledge of all major environments such as the Physical Web, Open Remote, Open Hab, Lelylan, Eclipse, KAA IoT, ZETTA and Open Connectivity Foundation would be required to create a solid framework for the efficient interaction of data, users and devices .
3. The office will die and the mobile user experience will be the key
The user experience will be the key to success and desktop design will make the mobile interface difficult. Simplicity will be the key, as the simple design will be easier to load on the mobile. Therefore, the design will focus on less important but important features that can enhance the user experience and help with customization.
In the future, all IoT devices will be connected via a smartphone. As a result, designers need to create designs that are easily accessible across all smartphone screens, regardless of the size and functionality that makes smart device interactions easy to perform.
4. The speed of the website will play a decisive role
The speed of loading pages will be key because communication with IoT devices will not be easy and the interaction will take a long time. Designers will need to maintain page loading time as quickly as possible to allow time for device communication and data sharing.
Here are some steps designers take to improve page loading time:
- Reduce the number of redirects
- Create and test AMP pages that load faster on mobile devices.
- Reduce the number of images.
- Reduce the number of JS and CSS files.
- Take advantage of the power of browser caching.
- Disable hot-link images.
- Delete all plugins that are not used.
- Enable Keep-Alive by adding the following code in the .htaccess file:
Set of Headers Connection Keep-Alive
- Correct all broken links in order to improve the user experience and control the budget analysis.
- Use CDN to reduce the load on the server.
- Take the help of caching plugins and keep the database clean.
5. Safety will become a primary consideration in design
It will become easy for hackers to hack smart devices and place fake orders. Therefore, security will become a primary consideration in the design.
The adoption of a security approach from the design stage is necessary for every design to be launched keeping in mind security. Here are some steps to follow to create a secure website:
- Plan the design and identify processes that may invite vulnerabilities. The idea of website design should be perfect where it is extremely important to set the goal of the website and draw the customer's journey.
- Start running tests early to correct errors or defects as soon as possible.
- Adopt a model-view-controller structure to effectively link the user interface to the underlying data models.
- Design a simple website and minimize the use of add-ons and plugins.
- Use a web-application firewall, such as Cloudflare, that enhances the security of your website even before the attack begins.
- Use SSL certificates to create an encrypted connection and establish a trust relationship.
A website designer must absolutely stay abreast of different aspects of IoT for designing a website. Clean, flexible and user-friendly interfaces are the demands of the current design in which information can be displayed with minimal text. Given the rapid growth of IoT, we can safely assume that it takes a whole new generation of web designers able to design the Web of tomorrow.