Every small town has empty windows in the city center. Some are empty buildings, some are used for storage and others are service companies that simply do not have much to put on the windows. Here are three ideas I saw during my trip to Cowlitz County, Washington State.
Make a mini-museum.
Work with the local museum to do a temporary exhibition in the windows. It works even for small outdoor showcases, which you sometimes see on old jewelery buildings. The photo at the top is a mini-museum I saw at Castle Rock, in the state of Washington.
Put in a white picket fence
This fence was also at Castle Rock. Interior service companies did not have much to put on the windows, so they filled them with this attractive alternative.
Doodle with windows
An artistic person with chalk for the windows put these wonderful vines in the window of downtown Kelso, Washington. Much better than just an empty window.
If you want to fill empty buildings, have you thought of dividing them into shared spaces?
New on SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the guided tour. Love what you see? Receive our updates.
About Becky McCray
Becky launched Small Biz Survival in 2006 to share stories and ideas of building businesses and rural communities with other small businessmen. She and her husband own an Alva, Oklahoma liquor store and a small ranch nearby. Becky is an international speaker on small business.
- The secret of effective follow-up: what not to say – 15 April 2019
- How church buildings can do more for the community – 8 April 2019
- Ideas for filling empty windows – 2 April 2019
- Know your customers: how do they want to be good? – March 25, 2019
- 99% of the best things you can do for your city do not require the permission of anyone – March 4, 2019
- Want more public participation in your events? Make sure your signs include this specific sentence – 18 February 2019
- Know your customer: who asks them questions? 11th February 2019
- How can restaurants sell in small towns – 4 February 2019
- SEO for voice search is different for small rural businesses – 28 January 2019
- What companies would work in a small town with empty land – 21 January 2019