Looking for the perfect instant summer business idea for young entrepreneurs? Try the telephone clinics.
I saw this idea come up at a meeting attended by a representative group from the city of Cathlamet, in Washington State. People of all ages were present: high school students, county commissioners, members of the chamber of commerce. One of the adults regretted not knowing how to solve a boring problem with his phone.
"It's easy," said one of the students. "I'll help you when it's over."
Immediately other adults took the floor. They also had phone problems! Could they get help?
It's a business idea! With just a sign and a few chairs, anyone with a passion for technology could set up a booth at an event. Set a price by work or time.
Elderly people who are online and in need of technical assistance are in high demand. Maybe not a full-time course, just a quick fix.
Especially in small towns, there are not many established alternatives, so there is not too much competition.
More help for youth engagement
Deb Brown and I share what we have learned by working with students and young people in small towns. Learn more about our video Connecting with Kids here.
About Becky McCray
Becky launched Small Biz Survival in 2006 to share stories and ideas of building businesses and rural communities with other small businessmen. She and her husband own an Alva, Oklahoma liquor store and a small ranch nearby. Becky is an international speaker on small business.
- Need a business idea in the city center? Try a Cookie Crawl – 22 July 2019
- Need funding for the next stage of your business? – 17 July 2019
- Youth business idea: telephone clinics – 8 July 2019
- The chain link is everywhere in the city centers. Here's how to dress it up. – 30th June 2019
- Stop using "3 foot stool" to describe an idea – June 24, 2019
- What are your challenges? Add your voice here – 17 June 2019
- How to make your bike lanes known before they are completed – June 10, 2019
- How $ 5 and a bowl of soup can rebuild your community – 3 June 2019
- Bring people to mix at an event – May 27, 2019
- Crowdsourced Ideas for Cafes and Other Third Places – May 20, 2019